The School of Politics and International Relations at The University of Nottingham is committed to enhancing graduate employability. Recent research has shown that work experience is now just as important to employer organisations as is degree course and classification. We have therefore established structured Placement Programmes and Employer Partnerships for our students.
The Placement Programme enables students to enhance their employability by demonstrating and developing valuable skillsets gained during their study in the department. Many of these skills are highly regarded by prospective employer organisations across a wide range of sectors.
Voluntary placement models include:
- One day per week local term time placements usually running 8-10 weeks, with the working pattern dictated by the placement partner.
- Summer and Easter placements – full time and part time. Usually running between 6-8 weeks for Summer and 2-4 weeks for Easter.
- Accredited placements – tied to an Accredited Placements Module run by Professor Lucy Sargisson from September 2016 to Christmas.
You can benefit from a placement in your organisation in the following ways:
- Gaining a committed Politics Undergraduate or Masters Student to assist your organisation. Do you need a specific time-dependent project or report created? Are you looking for more day to day support such as a Communications or Marketing Officer, Researcher or a Data Analyst?
- No cost. The only cost to you as an organisation is the time you spend inducting and supporting the Placee whilst they are with you.
- Enhancing your organisation’s reputation within Nottinghamshire and the surrounding community, plus the opportunity to work with a World Top 100 University, part of the prestigious Russell Group.
- A golden opportunity to build up contacts and networks within the University environment.
- “Try before you buy”. An opportunity to approach your high performing placements about career positions within your organisation.
- All our Placees apply to placements through a competitive process, so you are in full control to select the best.
- All Placees undergo pre-placement training and have on-placement mentor support from the University. We also support you as the placement provider!
If you are interested in offering or developing placements in any of the above areas, please contact Steve Vaccarini, Placements and Employability Officer.
- We take a role brief from you, plus provisional start dates, location, duration, hours and any desirable/essential criteria.
- We advertise the role internally with a closing date and provisional interview dates and using a structured application form.
- You chose how many to shortlist. We also offer interview room facilities at the University free of charge.
- Placement offers are made by yourself to successful candidates.
- Preplacement training and support takes place with the Placee before they start.
Placement Partners Testimonials
“…thank you for providing me with Alex Trimble as a placement…I am indebted to him, and you, for all his efforts which has given me great confidence in the placements scheme that The University of Nottingham provides, giving me assurance that I can work with you in the future to provide support and development for further placement individuals.”
Events and Special Programmes Development Officer
Film Nottingham Office
Watch undergraduate Stefan Obato’s video in which he discussed what he was able to bring to his placement and what he gained from the experience.