Here at Ingenuity HQ we are constantly amazed and inspired by the breadth of incredible research taking place across the University of Nottingham – and by just how much of that research is relevant to the local business community. The role of the Ingenuity Network is to try to make that research accessible to businesses through our programme of events. Our latest session on ‘Spreadable Marketing’ did not disappoint.
Led by Professor Paul Grainge and Dr Cathy Johnson from the Department of Culture, Film and Media, this half-day workshop on ‘Spreadable Marketing’ was first delivered in 2016. It was so popular that Cathy and Paul kindly agreed to return for a re-run this year, sharing their ‘Six Principles of Spreadable Marketing’ with another packed audience last week. Via a series of highly interactive and practical exercises, Cathy and Paul guided us through:
- Thinking about your customers, clients and suppliers as an audience:
- Who do you want to engage with (i.e. who is your audience)?
- What are your audience’s need states? Where are they, where do they hang out, what are their interests, what do they like to do, what do they want?
- Developing content ideas for your audience:
- What kinds of content might you produce that might speak to your audience?
- What kind of content might spread, and how does that content fulfil the need states of your audience?
- Distributing content for your audience:
- What channels to use (e.g. YouTube, website etc)?
- What time of day to distribute? What day of the week to distribute? The importance of tapping into cultural events and being timely.
Delegates praised the session as being one of their favourite Ingenuity events so far, commenting:
- “Very interesting and engaging! Great speakers and interactive tasks.”
- “It made me consider my audience and how I communicate with them in a new and fresh way.”
- “This is a great way to engage with my customers more effectively. Thinking about their needs and wants will help me plan for the content I produce.”
Don’t despair if you missed out this time – Paul and Cathy have agreed to return to the Ingenuity Network again in 2018. If you’d like to express your interest in attending ‘Spreadable Marketing’ next year, please contact email@example.com. In the meantime, you might be interested in checking out some of our other Ingenuity events. Our next session will be a breakfast event on Tuesday 16th January when we’ll be exploring the theme of ‘Trust’ – do sign up and come along for a hearty free breakfast, great networking and a chance to learn something new.